March 7, 2010

Really great dirt

Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina!

Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina!

A couple of weekends ago, Eric and I decided to check out the local Farmer’s Market in Columbia, SC. Coming from another area in the state that doesn’t have big Farmer’s Markets, I was in hog heaven (pun intended) to see ACRES of booths, greenhouses and covered areas. The weekend we went it also happened to be the Plant and Flower Show which just added to my delight.

Unfortunately I had already planted my pots and tiny garden so we didn’t bring home any plants that day but we learned about all kinds of palms and herbs. The Palmetto is the state tree of SC and you can see them all over the place as you start to get closer to the coast. We even get to see some of them here in the state capital several hours from the coast and when we buy a place you can bet that one of the first things we will plant is a Palmetto - I just love them!

We did however bring home some wonderful Foccacia bread from Rococo Bakery in Charleston, some homemade Soda-Pop by Hillbilly Bob (Rootbeer & Blackberry for Eric and I, respectively) as well as a wonderful bag of compost from Humble Acres Organics in Barnwell, SC.

Yummy Foccacia from Rococo Bakery in Charleston

Yummy Foccacia from Rococo Bakery in Charleston

Hillbilly Bob, my Blackberry Soda and I (horrible pic!)

Hillbilly Bob, my Blackberry Soda and I (horrible pic!)

Humble Acres Organic Compost

I’ll be transplanting my tomato seedlings later this week and will be using the Bloomin’ EZ compost from Humble Acres so I’ll be sure to share more on that soon. BTW - The Bloomin’ EZ compost is made right here in SC on their farm and is trusted by some very beautiful gardens in the Carolinas including the Riverbanks Zoo and the BILTMORE!!! The Biltmore gardens are touted as some of the most beautiful in the Southeast so all I can say if its good enough for the Biltmore, its good enough for me and my little tomatoes.

I’ll leave you with the funniest pic of the day - our homemade soda-pop in tin cans barely fitting in the cup holders in the car - such a funny juxtaposition!

I giggled all the way home!

I giggled all the way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...