March 7, 2010

Ole to You!

Returned from Fabric Mecca that is Mary Jo’s in Gastonia, NC. Loved it! I spent a couple hours perusing the hundreds of aisles of fabric. It was a bit overwhelming at times but I managed :).

Soon I will share some of the new fabric that came to live with me, but for now I am excited to be inspired to get some new items made and up on Etsy. I was sort of feeling in a rut with the fabric and styles I was working with before but am so thrilled to be part of this creative process going on in my head & heart.

Wanted to share this link to Elizabeth Gilbert’s (author of Eat, Pray, Love) talk on Nurturing Creativity at TED. Click here to watch the video. I first found the video a couple of months ago and keep going back to it because I am 1. addicted to Elizabeth Gilbert and 2. find it a great tool to get me back on my artistic horse.

Pitcher, by me, 2005

Pitcher, by me, 2005

There is so much more I would like to share about my creative process, my goals as an “artist” (I still struggle with that title), what it means to be an artist or creative, and more but I am still processing it in my head. AND I don’t know that I will ever have the answers or be able to do my mental struggle justice with words but I hope I will. For now I can tell you that this creativity I have, this desire to create and do is something I can’t control. I can’t turn it on or off and I can’t force it to happen. It just is and the creative need must be fulfilled. Do you have this? Can you express it in words? Tell me.

So go watch Elizabeth’s talk and “Do your dance anyhow and Ole to you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...