March 7, 2010

Everything old is new again

This new apron is VERY personal to me. As I was preparing to start sewing again and start selling on Etsy, I discovered some goodies I had tucked away in a deep craft drawer. I found old wooden spools of thread, needle folders, pincushions that were my grandmother’s and then my mother’s. Mom says “Oh yeah, I got a whole lot of use out of them” (the only time she used them was in Home Ec and after a few lopsided projects they were tucked away).

img_2677

Vintage Flour Sack

I also found this beautiful printed flour sack (above) that belonged to “Nanny” my greatgrandmother and several mismatched pillowcases with hand tatting and embroidery. So what did I do? I turned them into an apron! DUH! Don’t start yelling at me yet - The flour sack had long ago been cut up to use in quilts by Nanny and the pillowcase was missing it’s mate so they needed to find a new purpose anyway.

Detail from the lone pillowcase

Detail from the lone pillowcase

I am not quite done with the apron but wanted to share some of the details with you… and I might just have to keep this apron for myself. After all I did make a New Years Resolution (in April) to wear an apron more often right?

PS - Check out this fabulous giveaway from Apron Memories! There are some other great ideas to repurpose old linens. Check out the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...