March 7, 2010

Officially Etsy-ing

Yes, Etsy-ing *should* be a word.

I am so thrilled to have my Etsy shop up and running. It was super easy to do and such a tiny investment that I jumped at the chance to have an Etsy Shop. For those of you who don’t know, Etsy is “Your place to buy and sell all things handmade”. You can puruse all the lovely handmade items from accross the globe including (but certainly not limited to) jewelry, art, photography, knitwear, clothing, candles, furniture, etc. The talent of Etsy sellers never ceases to amaze me.

Splendid Minta's Etsy Shop

While I am not a perfect sewer, I am pretty proud of my completed items so far including two aprons, several sets of pretty tea towels and more that I am keeping a secret for now. I don’t know that I will ever need to “quit my day job” to support all the orders I receive but for now, its a creative outlet that makes me happy. I pray that someday I’ll be able to earn a living doing what I love but for now I’m just doing what I love.

My maternal great grandmother, Nanny, officially taught me how to sew and crochet.
Nanny hoding me at 6 months

She had bags and bags of scraps that she would turn into crazy quilts. A lot of the fabric she used were from out-grown clothes, sheets and towels that had been tossed into the rag pile for one reason or another. I remember my mother telling me once that certain triangles in her quilts were her dresses as a little girl. Nanny was a beautiful sewer, so patient and steady in her stiches, her seams were always straight (how did she do that?!?). When she passed away I was given her box of thread, some flour sacks she never used and a pair of vintage sewing scissors. I treasure these so much and even used some of her thread in my creations on Etsy.

-Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...