July 25, 2010

cutting x 600

I just couldn't wait anymore. I had to get started on the quilt. I already had quite a fabric stash and new that I wanted to do a "patchwork" quilt or "scrap" quilt so I didn't have to buy any coordinating fabric or worry about block placement.

I decided to make a Hexagon patchwork quilt. Simple but very unique. Sort of like this or that:
I've determined to make a twin size quilt (roughly 60" x 80") I'll need about 600 hexagons cut to 3.5" (1/2" for 1/4" seam allowance on each side).
I would never attempt to cut that many pieces without a template. I am amazed what ladies could do by hand back in the olden days. Listen, I am all about the good old days but I want to complete this quilt sometime this year so I'm using this hexagon template. Its so easy to use, just cut fabric into 3.5" strips, line 'em up with the lines on the template and cut the angles on both sides. See?So far, I've cut 278 hexagons. Almost half way done.
Cutting fabric is not my favorite thing in the world but I'd rather cut it all at once than have to keep coming back to my cutting mat. I may have a permanent hand cramp after this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...