October 17, 2010

Recipe Swap: Chocolate Chippers

In the search for the BEST chocolate chip cookies I've tried a lot of recipes. I subjected Eric, my faithful taste tester to Tollhouse, Neiman Marcus, Martha Stewart's, the ones on the Crisco box label, everything from recipes.com and beyond...

All that to say, I think I have successfully found my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES. In no way are they healthy or a cure all for cancer but I've made 2 batches now and they are great. I know everyone has their own opinion of the perfect cookie. For me, they must be a little bit cakey, a touch gooey, not puffy and have a little bit of "chew" to them. Is that scientific enough for you?

This recipe is from Midwest Living, April 2010 (i know, don't judge). It is a prize winning - county fair approved recipe from the heartland - can it get any better? Without further ado, I give you...
Marjorie's Chocolate Chippers
2.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
.5 cup backed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
12-ounce semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

In bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. In another large mixing bowl, beat butter with electric mixer for 30 sec. Add sugars. Beat on medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can then mix in the rest with a spoon manually until fully combined. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.

Drop dough by rounded tsp. on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 9 to 11 minutes until edges are light brown. Cool on cookie sheet or transfer to wire racks. Makes 60 cookies
Nutrition facts (straight from the magazine) per cookie: 109 cal, 6g fat, 15mg chol, 85mg sodium, 13g carb, 1g protein, 1g fiber. Ouch - forget that you just read that.

Cook's notes: I really like this recipe for the flavor, texture and ease of recipe but I really like this recipe cause they are really pretty cookies. I think its really nice when the presentation is just as good as the present.

PS - this is from a great article that features another 5 cookie recipes that I have yet to try - if they are anywhere close to as good as this one is then it is work checking this feature out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...